- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Briwat - Moroccan Cookies for Ramadan Recipe Video
|Phyllo dough sheets||1 Pound (1 roll)|
|Walnuts/Blanched almonds||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cinnamon powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Orange blossom water||1 Tablespoon|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted, divided (2 1/2 tbsp for the filling and 1 1/2 tbsp to brush on the phyllo dough)|
|Egg yolk||1 , lightly beaten|
|Honey||1 Cup (16 tbs), warmed (as required)|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon (as required)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)|
Calories 752 Calories from Fat 436
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 50 g77.1%
Saturated Fat 8.8 g43.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 38.3 mg12.8%
Sodium 263 mg11%
Total Carbohydrates 76 g25.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.3%
Sugars 37.1 g
Protein 10 g19%
Vitamin A 4.3% Vitamin C 0.97%
Calcium 10.9% Iron 18.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a cooking pan drizzle oil and roast the walnuts for 2 minutes to enhance their flavor.
2. In a food processor or blender, grind them very finely. Add sugar and cinnamon powder and continue grinding till combined.
3. Transfer into a bowl. Add 2 1/2 tablespoons melted butter and blossom water to the walnuts and mix till well combined to a paste. Set aside.
4. Take 2 phyllo dough sheets. Brush it generously with remaining melted butter.
5. Using a sharp knife, cut it into 4 long strips.
6. Place a tablespoon of walnut filling on one end of the phyllo dough strip and fold them diagonally to form triangular shaped briwat. Brush egg yolk on the last part of the strip to seal it.
7. In a deep frying pan, heat oil. Place them carefully and fry till golden brown.
8. Drain off excess oil and dip immediately into warm honey.
9. Remove from the honey and sprinkle sesame seeds over it. Let it cool completely before serving.
10. In a serving plate, serve the briwat as a dessert.