- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Moroccan Vegetable Tagine with Couscous Recipe Video
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon, freshly ground (use as per taste)|
|Cous cous||1 Cup (16 tbs) ( (I like to use whole wheat cous cous))|
|Black olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), pitted and chopped (preferably oil-cured )|
|Cherry tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chickpeas||15 Ounce, drained and rinsed (in 1 can, optional) (Optional)|
|Fresh parsley/Cilantro||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped (plus additional for garnish)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Medium|
|Harissa oil||1 Tablespoon (for optional garnish) (Optional)|
|Fresh tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped (okay to substitute 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes plus juice)|
|Mushroom||2 Cup (32 tbs), sliced|
|Red pepper/Yellow pepper||1 Medium, cored and seeded, cut into thin strips|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped (about 2 cups)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), chopped|
|Carrot||1 Medium, sliced into ½ inch thin coins|
|Cumin||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sweet potato||1 Small, peeled (or scrubbed if organic) and cut into 1 inch chunks (about 1 cup)|
|Taro root/White potato||1 Small, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks (about 1 cup)|
|Egg plant chunks with skin||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon wedges||5 Medium (for optional garnish) (Optional)|
Calories 970 Calories from Fat 165
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.7%
Saturated Fat 2 g10.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 791.9 mg33%
Total Carbohydrates 170 g56.8%
Dietary Fiber 35.2 g140.9%
Sugars 22.9 g
Protein 35 g70.1%
Vitamin A 243% Vitamin C 155.8%
Calcium 29.3% Iron 61.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In large soup pot heat oil over medium heat.
2. Cook adding onion, garlic and carrot and stir 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Add cumin, paprika, turmeric, cayenne pepper and cinnamon to pot.
4. Continue to cook and stir for 3 to 4 more minutes, until spices are fragrant.
5. Add sweet potato, taro root or white potato, eggplant, pepper strips and mushrooms to pot and stir well.
6. Stir in tomatoes, water, salt and pepper to taste.
7. Cover and simmer over medium heat 12 to 15 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
8. Cook cous cous according to package directions and set aside.
9. Stir saffron, olives, cherry tomatoes, and chickpeas into tagine.
10. Remove from heat and stir in fresh herbs and lemon juice.
11. Garnish with additional chopped herbs, a drizzle of harissa oil and lemon wedges.
12. Serve hot over cous cous.