- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Couscous with Vegetables - Video with My Grandmother Recipe Video
|Whole chicken||2 Pound|
|Dried chick peas||2 Cup (32 tbs), soaked over night (1 can of chick peas)|
|Olive oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Ginger powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Pepper powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cabbage head||1 , cut in large chunks|
|Potatoes||2 , cut in large chunks|
|Zucchini||1 , cut in large chunks|
|Onion||1 , cut in large chunks|
|Turnips||2 , cut in large chunks|
|Tomatoes||2 , cut in large chunks|
|Carrots||4 , cut in large chunks|
|Butternut squash||1 , cut in large chunks|
|Parsley||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Cilantro||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|For cous cous|
|Couscous||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Clarified butter/Ghee||1 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs) (or more)|
Calories 1346 Calories from Fat 425
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 48 g73.7%
Saturated Fat 11.1 g55.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 120.1 mg
Sodium 563.7 mg23.5%
Total Carbohydrates 175 g58.3%
Dietary Fiber 29.6 g118.3%
Sugars 22.8 g
Protein 61 g121.5%
Vitamin A 764.8% Vitamin C 270.1%
Calcium 35.6% Iron 64.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedMoroccan couscous pot
1. In a bowl, place the couscous, mix in the oil and add enough water to wet the couscous, set aside.
2. In the bottom part of Moroccan couscous pot,combine olive oil, chicken, spices, onions and tomatoes.
3. Cover the pot and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat.
4. Add in the chickpeas, if using canned chick peas add in the end, and add cilantro, parsley, cabbage, turnips, potato, carrots and 2 cups of water.
5. Set the pot on medium heat, cover and cook for 50 minutes.
6. After 50 minutes, remove the chicken and add zucchini, butternut squash and red chili peppers.
7. Put the couscous in top section of couscous pot, set it over the bottom pot, cover and steam it for 10 minutes.
8. After 10 minutes, remove the couscous in a bowl, and add 1 cup of water, mix well.
9. Return the couscous to the couscous pot, set it again over the bottom pot and cook until steam is visible on top for about 10 minutes.
10. Transfer the couscous in a bowl and mix in the clarified butter.
11. In a serving plate, make a bed of couscous and spoon some of the sauce over it.
12. Arrange chicken and vegetable over couscous and serve with sauce on the side.