- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Moroccan Chicken Meat Vermicelli Recipe Video
|For the chicken|
|Chicken drumstick||2 Pound|
|Onion||1 Pound, grated|
|Cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely|
|Ginger||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Black pepper powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Saffron threads||1 Pinch|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Clarified butter||1⁄2 Teaspoon (ghee/ smen)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For dried fruits|
|Almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs), blanched|
|Dates||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Walnuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For the vermicelli|
|Vermicelli pasta||1 Pound|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
Calories 1153 Calories from Fat 373
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 43 g66.1%
Saturated Fat 7.1 g35.6%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 184.4 mg
Sodium 936.6 mg39%
Total Carbohydrates 120 g40.1%
Dietary Fiber 12.9 g51.5%
Sugars 24.2 g
Protein 71 g142.8%
Vitamin A 12.4% Vitamin C 36.1%
Calcium 18.1% Iron 39%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. CHICKEN: In a pot, drizzle the olive oil and vegetable oil. Add the grated onions, chicken spices, cinnamon sticks, and the chicken. Mix all the ingredients together using a wooden spoon.
2. Cover the pot and cook the chicken on medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir the chicken from time to time.
3. After 5 minutes, add the finely chopped parsley and cilantro as well as the smen (ghee). Make sure to adjust the amount of salt in this dish to the saltiness of the ghee.
4. Mix all the ingredients and add a little bit of water, just enough to cover half the height of the chicken.
5. Cover the pot, increase the heat to medium-high, and let the chicken cook until done.
6. From time to time, check on the chicken, stir it, and add water if necessary. The water should be covering half the height of the chicken until the chicken is cooked.
7. The chicken should be done within 30-40 minutes. Taste the chicken, it should be soft.
8. Remove the chicken from the pot and place it in a bowl. Set aside.
9. Uncover the pot, increase the heat to high, and let the sauce cook for 10 minutes until the liquids evaporate and the sauce becomes thick and silky.
10. Once the sauce has reduced, turn off the heat, bring back the chicken to the pot, cover and keep it there until ready to serve the dish.
11. Soak the dates and the raisins in two separate bowls filled with warm water at least 30 minutes before using them.
12. DRIED FRUITS: Any dried fruits of choice can be used, in the desired amount or just skip them.
13. To blanch almonds, just place whole almonds in boiling water for 5 minutes, then rinse them and rub them using a towel. The skin of the almonds will easily be removed.
14. In a flat pan, heat vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, place the blanched almonds in the hot oil and fry until the almonds get a nice golden brown color.
15. Once done, remove the almonds from oil and place them in a plate covered with paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
16. Steam the raisins and pitted dates separately for around 15 minutes or until they soften up.
17. VERMICELLI: Fill the bottom of the couscous pot or steamer with water and add 1/2 lemon.
18. Take 2 tablespoons of the oil where and using clean hands, mix it gently with the vermicelli until it is completely coated with the oil.
19. Place the vermicelli in the top portion of the couscous pot, cover, and steam on medium-high heat until the first steam start to come from the vermicelli. This will take around 20 minutes.
20. Remove the vermicelli from the top part of the couscous pot, and place in a large plate. Add 1/2 cup of salted water to the vermicelli, mix with your hands, and let the vermicelli rest for about 5 minutes.
21. Return the vermicelli to the couscous pot and steam again until you see the steam coming out from the vermicelli around 10 minutes. Keep the pot heated while vermicelli is resting.
22. Check the vermicelli. If it is not ready, continue steaming, otherwise remove it from the couscous pot, place in a plate, and add a bit of water (not salted this time, if the vermicelli is salty enough). Let it rest for 5 minutes and place back in the couscous pot. Steam for 5-10 minutes until done but make sure not to overcook it, otherwise, it becomes too soft.
23. When the vermicelli is ready, place it in a large plate and fluff it (using forks) with a little bit of butter.
24. Heat the chicken if necessary and mix the hot vermicelli with the steamed raisins.
25. In a large plate, place a layer of vermicelli. Put the chicken on top of the vermicelli and cover it with the thick sauce. Cover the chicken with the rest of the vermicelli into a dome shape.
26. Place the ground almonds (with powdered sugar and orange blossom water) at the top of the dome. Decorate with the almonds, walnuts, and dates and serve.
Optional: Take some of the fried almonds and mix, using a food processor, with a bit of orange blossom water and powdered sugar.