- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Moroccan Beef Tajine with Potatoes Recipe Video
|Beef steak meat/Lamb||1 Pound, cut into medium pieces|
|Onion||1 Medium, grated|
|Ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Black pepper powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Saffron threads||1 Pinch|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed|
|Potatoes||4 Large, peeled, cut into 4 (white)|
|Green olives||12 Medium, cured (Mediterranean/ Greek style)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
Calories 510 Calories from Fat 187
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g31.7%
Saturated Fat 6 g29.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 68 mg
Sodium 1024.7 mg42.7%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.8%
Dietary Fiber 8.1 g32.2%
Sugars 4.6 g
Protein 24 g47.5%
Vitamin A 0.2% Vitamin C 107%
Calcium 6.4% Iron 28.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. BEEF: In a cooking pot, drizzle the olive oil.
2. Squeeze water from the grated onions and add it to the oil.
3. Add the meat, the crushed garlic cloves, and all the spices. Mix all the ingredients using a wooden spoon.
4. Cover the pot and cook the meat on medium heat for around 5 minutes. Turn around the meat pieces so all sides are browned evenly.
5. Once the meat is brown, add 2 cups of cold water to the pot, cover the pan, increase the heat to medium-high, and cook the meat until done. This will take around 45 minutes to 1 hour (check on the meat from time to time, and add water if necessary. The meat should be half-covered with sauce at all times. Taste the meat in the end to check if it is done. It should be tender and soft).
6. Once the meat is done, transfer into a bowl and set aside.
7. In a pot put the potatoes without the water. Add 1 cup of water, until the potatoes are half covered.
8. Cover the pot, and cook the potatoes on medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
9. After 5 minutes, taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning of salt, pepper, and ground ginger accordingly.
10. Pour more water if necessary for the potatoes to cook. It will take around 15 minutes for the potatoes to be ready. Test them by cutting them in a fork for softness, they should be soft but still hold their shape).
11. Add the olives to the pot.
12. Once the potatoes are ready, put back the meat into the sauce with the potatoes.
13. Uncover the pot, increase the heat to high, and let the tagine cook for around 5 minutes until the sauce is reduced as it evaporates. The sauce will become thicker and silkier.
14. In a serving plate, first place the meat, then put the potatoes around it, pour the sauce over the meat and potatoes, then decorate with the olives. Serve hot with crusty bread.