- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Molasses Oatmeal Bread Recipe
|Rolled oats||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Granular yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 packages)|
|Warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Flour||8 Cup (128 tbs), sifted|
Calories 206 Calories from Fat 25
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.4%
Saturated Fat 0.64 g3.2%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 237.5 mg9.9%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.9%
Sugars 4 g
Protein 5 g10%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2.3% Iron 13.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven at 425°F.
2. Grease loaf pans.
3. Combine oats, molasses, salt, shortening and water and set aside.
4. Sprinkle yeast over warm water, as warm as 110°, stirring until blend.
5. Add the yeast mixture to the molasses mixture.
6. Stir in flour, in two additions, mixing well.
7. Add this mixture in a greased bowl, cover and set in a warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
8. Punch it down.
9. Allow it to rise until doubled two more times for about 30 minutes each.
10. Divide dough into 3 portions.
11. Knead each portion.
12. Form into loaves and place in greased loaf pans.
13. Allow it to rise until doubled.
14. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes.
15. Reduce heat and finish baking at 350°F for about 30-35 minutes.
16. Remove from pans at once.
17. Brush tops of loaves with melted butter and cover lightly until cool.
18. Cut in into slices before serving.