- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Molasses Layer Cake Recipe
|Butter/Margarine or shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (firmly packed)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cake flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (sifted)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2560 Calories from Fat 543
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 61 g93.7%
Saturated Fat 32 g160.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 543.9 mg
Sodium 2061.5 mg85.9%
Total Carbohydrates 465 g154.9%
Dietary Fiber 31 g123.9%
Sugars 194.9 g
Protein 54 g108.7%
Vitamin A 37.9% Vitamin C
Calcium 61.9% Iron 54.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Cream the butter, margarine or shortening until soft. Gradually add the brown sugar and beat until creamy; add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition; beat in the molasses.
3. Sift the flour with the soda.
4. Combine the water and vanilla.
5. Add the flour alternately with the water and vanilla mixture in 3 equal parts, beating well after each addition.
6. Whip the egg whites with the salt until stiff; fold into the batter. Pour into the layer pans. Bake about 30 minutes.