- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Modified Boston Baked Beans with Soy Recipe
|Dried great northern beans/White haricot beans||115 Gram, rinsed, picked (1/2 Cup Marrowfat Beans)|
|Dried soybeans/1 cup / 230 gram, marrowfat beans||115 Gram, rinsed, picked (1/2 Cup)|
|Yellow onion||1 Medium, peeled and quartered|
|Salt pork||1⁄2 Pound, salt washed off under running cold water, cut into 1 inch cubes (225 Gram)|
|Beef bouillon/Chicken bouillon||1 1⁄4 Liter (5 Cups, Clear)|
|Dark unsulfured molasses||3 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Bay leaf||1 , crumbled|
|Fresh chopped thyme leaves/1/2 teaspoon dried thyme||2 Teaspoon|
Calories 492 Calories from Fat 315
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g54%
Saturated Fat 12 g59.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 32.5 mg10.8%
Sodium 1289.3 mg53.7%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.6%
Dietary Fiber 6.3 g25%
Sugars 10.8 g
Protein 16 g31.6%
Vitamin A 1.9% Vitamin C 8.2%
Calcium 18.2% Iron 34.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350° F (175° C).
2) In a 3-quart pressure cooker, without its base rack, place the marrowfat and soybeans, then push in the salt pork cubes and pour in the 4 cups of bouillon.
3) Place the lid, bring up the pressure to 15 pounds and cook for 50 minutes.
4) Turn off the heat and allow the pressure lower gradually of its own in 4 to 5 minutes.
5) Place the bean pot into in the preheated oven for 3 or 4 minutes to warm up, then add all the solids of the pressure cooker with a slotted spoon.
6) In a bowl, mix the molasses, brown sugar, mustard, thyme, bay leaf together, spread over the bean pot mixture and pour in the bouillon just to cover the beans.
7) Bake in the preheated oven uncovered, for about 30 minutes or longer, then taste and add salt, as needed.
8) If there is too much liquid, increase the oven up to 400° F (205° C) and bake the pot for 5 to 15 minutes, as required.
9) Serve immediately on very hot plates, preferably with the Boston brown bread.