- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mochi Recipe Video
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (1 pound for Mochi and 4 cups + enough to soak beans for An Paste)|
|Mochiko rice flour/Sweet rice flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (1 pound for Mochi)|
|Granulated white sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (about 11 ounces for Mochi)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon (to taste for Mochi)|
|Potato starch||1 Tablespoon (as needed)|
|Shortening||1 Tablespoon (as needed)|
|Azuki beans||1 Cup (16 tbs) (about 12 ounces for An Paste)|
|Granulated sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs) (for An Paste)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste, for An Paste)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5316 Calories from Fat 141
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.7%
Saturated Fat 4.1 g20.6%
Trans Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2006.5 mg83.6%
Total Carbohydrates 1258 g419.2%
Dietary Fiber 25.4 g101.6%
Sugars 799.9 g
Protein 63 g125.5%
Vitamin A 0.7% Vitamin C
Calcium 14.2% Iron 56%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) An Paste: In a large bowl or large measuring cup place beans, 1 cup sugar, and submerge with water. Allow to sit for 12 hours or overnight in the fridge to hydrate the beans.
2) After they have sat, remove and discard any beans that have floated to the top. Rinse beans well and then place in a pot with about 4 cups of water.
3) Cook on high until the water boils. Keep at a boil for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for about an hour. After an hour check the beans for tenderness, if still hard continue simmering.
4) Once beans are softened, drain the water. Return to pot and stir in the sugar and salt with a wooden spoon.
5) Mochi : Ready a large steamer. Grease the silicone cupcake molds thoroughly with shortening.
6) In a large bowl put a sieve and pour in the mochiko flour, discard any remnants. Repeat with the sugar.
7) Add the water and vanilla and mix well until the flour and sugars are completely moistened and the mixture resembles cake batter.
8) Pour the batter into the prepared molds and steam the mochi for about 20 to 30 minutes until the batter becomes firm, the tops still looks a bit moist. Remove from the steamer and prepare to move quickly.
9) Grease up your hands with some shortening. Roll the mochi into a ball and flatten in the palm of your hand. Make a small dent in the center and place a spoonful of your desired filling. Fold up the sides around the filling pocket to create a closed sphere. Lightly dust with some potato starch.
10) Serve immediately or refrigerate up to week in a sealed container.