- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mixed Vegetable Pickle Recipe
|Turnips/Knol-kohl||1⁄2 Kilogram (Shalgum)|
|Vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mustard powder||60 Gram|
|Chilly powder||75 Gram|
|Powdered jaggery||120 Gram|
|Garam masala||1⁄2 Tablespoon, freshly powdered|
|Oil||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (Preferably Mustard Oil)|
|Salt||100 Gram (Or Use According To Taste)|
Calories 795 Calories from Fat 555
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g97%
Saturated Fat 8 g40.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 6798.4 mg283.3%
Total Carbohydrates 56 g18.8%
Dietary Fiber 13.5 g54.1%
Sugars 30.2 g
Protein 10 g19%
Vitamin A 353.6% Vitamin C 166.8%
Calcium 23% Iron 25.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Tie the vegetables in a clean muslin cloth. Boil some water in a large vessel, immerse the vegetables in it and allow to simmer 3-5 minutes Remove from cloth and spread on a clean thick sheet to allow all the moisture to evaporate.
3. Grind the ginger and garlic in some of the vinegar to a paste.
4. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil, add the ground paste and stir fry until the oil surfaces. Remove the pan from the fire. Add the chilly and mustard powder, and the garam masala. Stir for 1-2 minutes and allow to cool.
5. In a large vessel put in the dried vegetables, fried masalas and salt, and add some oil if necessary. Mix thoroughly and put them in a jar. Cover the jar with a clean cloth, tie the cloth at the rim and keep the jar in the sun for 2-3 hours every day for about a week.
6. Soak the jaggery in vinegar and boil to obtain a syrup of a one thread consistency. Cool, pour this into the jar, and mix well, adding the rest of the oil. Make sure that there is a layer of oil on top of the vegetables.
7. Close lid tight and store.