- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Holiday Series: Southern Mixed Greens with Smoked Turkey Wings and Sweet Cornbread Recipe Video
|For the collard greens and turkey wings|
|Turkey wings with skin||8 Ounce, smoke (2 standard)|
|Low sodium chicken stock||1 Quart|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Collard greens||12 Ounce, trimmed (cleaned, rinsed, and trimmed)|
|Apple cider vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), mince|
|Kosher salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose seasoning||1 Tablespoon (Grand Diamond)|
|Tomatoes||1 Medium, dice (Optional)|
|Scallions||1 Medium, dice (Optional)|
|For the sweet cornbread|
|Yellow cornmeal||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs), sifted|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Buttermilk||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 1109 Calories from Fat 497
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g86%
Saturated Fat 11.6 g58.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 218.8 mg
Sodium 1027.4 mg42.8%
Total Carbohydrates 125 g41.7%
Dietary Fiber 7.3 g29.4%
Sugars 39.9 g
Protein 30 g59.5%
Vitamin A 88.7% Vitamin C 40.3%
Calcium 52.6% Iron 38.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedBaking dish
1. Preheat Oven to 400 degrees.
2. Prepare a greased 9x11 baking dish.
3. In a large bowl the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt, set aside. Mix well.
4. In another large bowl combine buttermilk, vegetable oil and eggs. Beat until the wet ingredients until well combined.
5. Combine the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and until all the mixture is well incorporated.
6. Pour the batter into the baking dish.
7. Bake it for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned.
8. Once done butter the top of the cornbread while it’s still warm.
9. Serve the cornbread along with the collard greens and turkey wings.
FOR THE COLLARD GREENS WITH SMOKED TURKEY WINGS
1. Clean, rinse and trim the collard greens, remove the hard steam.
2. Dice the tomatoes and scallions and keep it aside in a bowl.
3. In a stock pot combine the turkey wings, chicken stock and water, cover and let it simmer for 45-60 minutes.
4. Add the trimmed collard greens followed by apple cider vinegar, pepper, sugar, garlic and salt and all-purpose seasoning, grand diamond seasoning, stir and combine.
5. Cover the pot and simmer over medium to medium high heat for 1 – 1 ½ hour, occasionally keep stirring after every 20 minutes.
6. Put some tomatoes and scallions mixture over the collard greens with turkey wings and serve it along with a side of cornbread.