- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Miniature Babas Au Rum Recipe
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (105 To 115°F)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Sifted all-purpose flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), softened (1/2 Stick)|
|For rum syrup|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Unpeeled orange||1 Medium, sliced crosswise|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , sliced crosswise (Unpeeled)|
|Light rum||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Apricot glaze||1 Tablespoon|
|Red candied cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Angelica||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4661 Calories from Fat 560
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 63 g97.7%
Saturated Fat 34 g169.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 755.4 mg
Sodium 1393.2 mg58%
Total Carbohydrates 790 g263.5%
Dietary Fiber 13.2 g52.7%
Sugars 600.6 g
Protein 46 g92.6%
Vitamin A 51.2% Vitamin C 178.8%
Calcium 23.5% Iron 81.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Sprinkle yeast over water in small bowl of electric mixer, stirring until dissolved.
3. Add 2 tablespoons sugar, the salt, eggs and 1 1/4 cups flour . At medium speed, beat 4 minutes, or until smooth, scraping side of bowl and guiding mixture into beaters with rubber spatula.
4. Add butter; beat 2 minutes, or until very well blended.
5. At low speed, beat in rest of flour; beat until smooth—about 2 minutes. Batter will be thick.
6. Turn batter into prepared muffin cups, using 1 rounded tablespoon batter for each cup; cover with towel.
7. Let rise in warm place (85°F), free from drafts, 1 hour, or until babas have risen to rims of muffin cups—more than double in bulk.
8. Meanwhile, make Rum Syrup: In medium saucepan, combine sugar with water; bring to boiling, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Boil, uncovered, 10 minutes.
9. Reduce heat. Add orange and lemon slices; simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add rum.
10. Preheat oven to 375°F Bake babas 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden-brown.
11. Turn out babas; arrange in a 13-by-9-by-2-inch pan, tops up. Poke holes in babas, at 1/2-inch intervals, with cake tester.
12. Pour hot syrup over babas; let stand, basting occasionally, at least 1 hour, or until all syrup is absorbed. (Turn babas upside down in syrup several times.)
13. Meanwhile, make Apricot Glaze. Brush tops and sides with glaze. Decorate with candied cherries and angelica.
14. Serve slightly warm, with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.