- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mini Cake Rolls Recipe
|For jelly roll cake:|
|Eggs||5 , separated|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sifted|
|Unbleached white flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sifted|
|For ruby raspberry sauce:|
|Unsweetened frozen raspberries||1 Cup (16 tbs), thawed and drained with juice reserved|
|For tangy lemon filling:|
|Lemon juice||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), freshly squeezed|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Unsweetened flaked coconut||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), processed in food processor until it is the consistency of powdered sugar|
Calories 144 Calories from Fat 35
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.2%
Saturated Fat 2 g10.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 104.4 mg
Sodium 31.8 mg1.3%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.4%
Sugars 9.3 g
Protein 5 g9%
Vitamin A 2.7% Vitamin C 8.2%
Calcium 1.7% Iron 37.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. Line a 15 x 10-inch baking pan with waxed paper.
To make the Jelly Roll Cake
1. In a medium-size bowl, beat egg whites with an electric beater until foamy.
2. Sprinkle in cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Keep aside
3. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until light colored.
4. Add honey and vanilla and beat for until very thick.
5. Sift together whole wheat flour and unbleached white flour and fold into beaten egg yolks.
6. Gently fold in beaten whites keeping the mixture light and fluffy.
7. Spread the batter quickly and lightly on prepared pan using a palette knife.
8. Bake on middle shelf of preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
9. Sprinkle a tea towel lightly with flour and turn cake out onto it.
10. Allow to cool completely.
To make the Ruby Raspberry Sauce
11. Blend the cornstarch with the reserved raspberry juice in a small saucepan.
12. Add enough water to make 1/2 cup.
13. Stir in raspberries and bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until thickened.
14. Strain and cool the sauce.
To make the Tangy Lemon Filling
15. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, shake together cornstarch and lemon juice, or whisk in a small bowl until thoroughly blended. Pour into a small saucepan.
16. Add water and honey and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
17. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk.
18. Pour some of the hot lemon mixture into egg yolk, whisking constantly. Return to saucepan and continue cooking, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
19. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
20. Cool until it thickens, whisking occasionally.
21. Cut the cake crosswise into half.
22. Spread raspberry sauce on one half and lemon filling on the other half.
23. Cut each half crosswise into half and each into thirds.
24. Roll up each piece, jelly roll fashion, starting from short side.
25. Cut jelly rolls into halves, making 2 rolls from each piece.
26. Roll in Coconut Sugar.
27. Arrange the Mini Cake Rolls on a platter and serve cold.