- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Italian Minestrone Soup Recipe Video
|Leek||150 Gram, chop|
|Cauliflower florets||150 Gram|
|Celery stalks||2 Medium|
|Carrots||2 Medium, dice|
|Onion||1 Medium, dice|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Tomatoes||300 Gram, cubed|
|Zucchini||2 Medium, cubed|
|Potatoes||2 Medium, cubed|
|Frozen peas||200 Gram|
|Pinto beans||200 Gram, drained|
|Pumpkin||200 Gram, cubed|
|Parsley bunch||1 Bunch (100 gm), chopped finely|
|Basil bunch||1 Bunch (100 gm), chopped finely|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Smoked bacon||40 Gram|
|Olive oil||To Taste|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
Calories 223 Calories from Fat 22
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g3.9%
Saturated Fat 0.92 g4.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4.2 mg
Sodium 192.4 mg8%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.6%
Dietary Fiber 9.5 g37.9%
Sugars 7.6 g
Protein 12 g24.5%
Vitamin A 147.9% Vitamin C 103.6%
Calcium 16.2% Iron 23.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Start making a mirepoix: take a pot, large enough to hold all the vegetables, heat a little oil, then add the carrot, celery, onion and the garlic, that have been finely diced, When the mirepoix is lightly browned, add the whole piece of bacon the flavour of vegetables is enhanced by bacon fat.
2. In the meantime, prepare the other vegetables - cut the tomatoes into cubes removing the inner seeds, do the same with the pumpkin, the potatoes and the zucchini, chop the leek and cut the cauliflower into small florets, beans and frozen peas and keep it aside.
3. Once the bacon is browned, add the vegetables: pumpkin, potatoes, tomatoes, zucchini, leek, cauliflower, beans, and peas add enough cold water to cover all the vegetables.
4. When the water comes to a boil, add salt & Parmesan rinds. Let the vegetables simmer gently until cooked.
5. Once the vegetables are cooked turn off the heat, add the chopped parsley, basil, salt and pepper to taste and, finally, drizzle a little oil. The minestrone soup is ready.
6. Serve the minestrone soup with toasted bread slices and grated parmesan cheese on the side.
You can use any vegetable you like, or include the vegetables in season.