- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Milk Cake or Kalakand Burfi - Indian Recipe Video
|For the chena|
|Whole milk||1⁄2 Gallon|
|Lime juiced||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (A little less than 1/4 cup water)|
|For the milk cake|
|Sweetened condensed milk/Sugar - 2 - 2 1/2 cups||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Non-fat dry milk powder||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Food color||1 Drop (Optional)|
|Cardamom powder||To Taste|
|Slivered pistachios||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (To garnish)|
Calories 408 Calories from Fat 150
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g25.6%
Saturated Fat 8.7 g43.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 50 mg16.7%
Sodium 239.2 mg10%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.5%
Dietary Fiber 0.6 g2.4%
Sugars 47.6 g
Protein 19 g37.3%
Vitamin A 9.4% Vitamin C 5.7%
Calcium 62.1% Iron 2.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Strainer - to strain the chena
1. Place a pot with milk on medium heat and bring it to boil.
2. Meanwhile, dilute lime juice with water and set aside.
3. When the milk begins to boil, add the diluted lime juice and keep stirring in one direction gently until the milk curdles completely.
4. Stop stirring and keep it aside for a while till the chena separates from the whey. Then, using a strainer strain the chena. (Do not strain completely; leave a little whey along with the chena)
To prepare the milk cake:
5. In a pot, heat ghee on a medium heat. When the ghee melts, add the chena, condensed milk and cook while stirring.
6. Keep stirring for about 5 minutes until the mixture thickens. Then, add the non-fat dry milk powder and mix well.
7. Add brown food color (optional) and cardamom powder to taste, stir to mix well.
8. Serve garnished with slivered pistachios.
To make two color milk cake - Divide the mixture into two equal portions. Spread one portion evenly on a greased plate. To the other portion add the brown food color and mix well. Spread it over the white layer and allow it to cool. Cut into squares and serve.
Instead of fresh chena, you can use Ricotta cheese as an alternate ingredient.