- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mexican Squash Soup Recipe Video
|Mexican squash||1 Medium|
|Acorn squash||1 Small|
|Anchove chillies||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|White onion||1⁄2 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm), crushed|
|Pumpkin seeds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), dried, toasted, ground|
|Whipped cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Lime||1⁄2 Medium, juiced|
|Butter||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs) (1/4 stick)|
Calories 628 Calories from Fat 338
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g58.5%
Saturated Fat 21.9 g109.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 120.6 mg
Sodium 228 mg9.5%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.6%
Dietary Fiber 9.4 g37.5%
Sugars 19.6 g
Protein 16 g31.2%
Vitamin A 79.2% Vitamin C 55.9%
Calcium 41.6% Iron 26.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a pan, dry roast the anchove chillies. Roast till they begin to form blisters and put them in water to rehydrate.
2. In another pan, toast the pumpkin seeds till they pop. Put them in a blender and blend till fine. Set aside.
3. Prepare the other ingredients according to the list.
4. In a skillet, heat butter. Saute onion and garlic till soft and fragrant.
5. Put the rehydrated anchove chillies and saute for 3 more minutes. Transfer them into a blender.
6. Scoop out the flesh of Mexican squash into the blender and pour 2 cups milk.
7. Blend them till smooth. Pour it into the skillet and reduce the heat to low.
8. In the blender scoop the flesh of acorn squash. Pour 2 cups milk and blend till smooth.
9. Transfer this also into the skillet and stir to mix.
10. Add the pumpkin seed powder, cumin, cinnamon stick, salt and pepper to taste. Mix them well and adjust the taste if required.
11. Pour the whipped cream into the soup and stir to incorporate. Simmer for 2 minutes and turn off the heat.
12. In a serving bowl, serve the soup garnished with whipped cream or saffron strands or cilantro if desired.