- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mexican Pot Roast Recipe
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Beef brisket||4 1⁄2 Pound (1 Brisket, First Cut)|
|Black pepper||To Taste, coarsely ground|
|Onions||2 Medium, halved and slivered|
|Carrots||6 Medium, cut into 1-inch lengths|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Cinnamon||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Canned plum tomatoes||56 Ounce (Liquid Retained, 2 Cans, 28 Ounce Each)|
|Pitted green olives||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Golden raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Small capers||2 Tablespoon, drained|
|Packed dark brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried hot chili||1 Small (Or To Taste)|
|Coarse salt||To Taste|
Calories 834 Calories from Fat 500
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g85.4%
Saturated Fat 19.8 g99%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 173.5 mg
Sodium 738.8 mg30.8%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g19.7%
Sugars 17.9 g
Protein 51 g101.3%
Vitamin A 182.5% Vitamin C 65.8%
Calcium 10.8% Iron 27.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Set the oven temperature to 375°F before baking.
2) In a large ovenproof casserole, over medium-high heat, heat oil and brown meat in it on both sides, seasoning it well with black pepper.
3) Take a large plate and transfer the meat to it, discarding most of the fat in the casserole.
4) To the remaining fat in the casserole, stir onions and carrots and sauté them for about 10 minutes over medium heat, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom, until the onions are golden.
5) Mix in garlic and cinnamon and sauté them for 1 minute longer.
6) Drain the juices from tomatoes, saving 1 cup.
7) Using the fingers, crush the tomatoes and mix them with the contents in casserole together with the reserved juices, the olives, raisins, capers, brown sugar, chili, salt, and a pinch of pepper.
8) Allow the mixture to come to a boil and then take if off from heat.
9) Place the meat back to the casserole, on top of the vegetables, and pour over some of the sauce.
10) Bake the casserole, covered for 2 hours.
11) To a carving board, transfer the pot roast and then rub off excess sauce from it.
12) Slice it into thin pieces on the diagonal and against the grain.
13) Return these slices of roast back to the casserole and cover it thoroughly with sauce.
14) Adjust seasonings and then uncover and bake for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours longer, basting the meat occasionally with the sauce, until it is soft.
15) Serve the roast hot topped with more sauce or passed separately.