- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mexican Lentils With Pineapple And Bananas Recipe
|Fresh vegetable broth/Homemade chicken broth||6 Cup (96 tbs), defatted|
|Celery ribs with leaves||2 , halved|
|Carrot||1 Medium, trimmed and halved|
|Flat leaf parsley sprigs||8|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced 1/4 inch|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Canned plum tomatoes||28 Ounce, drained, 3/4 cup juice reserved, and crushed (1 Can)|
|Golden raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Black pepper||To Taste, coarsely ground|
|Canned pineapple chunks||20 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
|Bananas||2 , peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes (Slightly Under-Ripe)|
Calories 534 Calories from Fat 76
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.2%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1278.6 mg53.3%
Total Carbohydrates 100 g33.2%
Dietary Fiber 26.1 g104.4%
Sugars 43.1 g
Protein 19 g37.2%
Vitamin A 90.3% Vitamin C 86.1%
Calcium 11.2% Iron 30.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Pick stones from lentils, if any.
2. Rinse well.
3. In a large heavy pot, put together broth, celery, carrot, and parsley sprigs.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low.
5. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the lentils are just tender.
6. Drain the lentils.
7. Remove and discard celery, carrot, and parsley sprigs.
8. Return the lentils to the pot.
9. In a large heavy saucepan, heat oil over low heat.
10. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook with constant stirring for about 10 minutes until the onion is wilted.
11. Add the canned tomatoes along with the reserved juice.
12. Add raisins.
13. Simmer over medium heat for about 10 minutes; stir occasionally.
14. Season with salt and pepper.
15. Add the pineapple; stir and cook for 5 minutes.
16. Add bananas; stir and cook 2 more minutes.
17. Add the tomato mixture to the lentil pot and mix.
18. Serve hot.