- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mexican Christmas Bread Pudding Recipe
|Panettone bread/Other fruit-studded sweet bread about 1 pound||1 , cut into 1-inch-thick slices|
|Half-and-half||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Candied orange peel||2 Ounce, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Cherries||2 Ounce, dried|
|Golden raisins||2 Ounce|
|Dried apricots||2 Ounce, cut into 1/4-inch pieces|
|Grand marnier/Other orange-flavored liqueur||3 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Tablespoon|
|For grand marnier sauce|
|Unsalted butter||8 Tablespoon (1 Stick)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||2 Large|
|Semi-sweet chocolate||2 Ounce, coarsely grated or shaved (For Garnish)|
Calories 517 Calories from Fat 233
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g40.5%
Saturated Fat 13.9 g69.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 164.7 mg
Sodium 123.1 mg5.1%
Total Carbohydrates 63 g21.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.6%
Sugars 41.8 g
Protein 8 g16%
Vitamin A 20.4% Vitamin C 19%
Calcium 12.9% Iron 8.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2) In a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish, apply 1 tablespoon butter to the bottom and sides.
3) Preheat the broiler.
4) On 2 baking sheets, arrange the bread slices, place 2 inches from the heat and toast for about 1 minute per side, until lightly browned.
5) In a large bowl, tear the toasted panettone into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Pour half-and-half over the bread and toss gently to moisten. Keep aside for 1 hour, tossing occasionally.
6) In a bowl, place the candied peel and dried fruits and toss with 2 tablespoons of Grand Marnier.
7) In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla and 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier together. Combine with the soaked bread, then fold in the dried fruits.
8) Spoon the mixture to the baking dish and bake in the middle of the oven for about 1 hour, until the pudding is set and the top is golden brown. Allow to cool to room temperature.
9) In a medium-size bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water or in the top of a double boiler, melt the butter. Gradually whisk in the sugar for about 30 seconds, until the mixture is creamy.
10) Whisk in the Grand Marnier and egg yolks one at a time, whisking constantly and cook for about 4 minutes, until the sauce resembles honey. Allow to cool to room temperature.
11) Spoon the Grand Marnier sauce over the pudding and place 3 to 4 inches from the heat and broil for about 2 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned.
12) Sprinkle over the grated chocolate, slice the pudding into 12 rectangular pieces and serve immediately.