- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mexican Chile Rellenos Recipe Video
|Poblano peppers||8 Large|
|Queso blanco||4 Ounce, cut into strips 2 inches long|
|Oaxaca cheese/Monterey jack||4 Ounce, cut into strips 2 inches long|
|Eggs||4 Large, separated|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), separated (reserve 1 tablepoon for batter and remaining for coating the peppers)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (for frying)|
Calories 1413 Calories from Fat 1143
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 130 g200.1%
Saturated Fat 23.7 g118.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 241.5 mg
Sodium 959.7 mg40%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g13.9%
Dietary Fiber 8.2 g32.7%
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 27 g53.1%
Vitamin A 149.9% Vitamin C 1.1%
Calcium 40.2% Iron 33.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Roast the whole poblano peppers on a high flame gas burner, in the oven or under a broiler, until the skin is lightly charred.
2. Let the peppers cool slightly, then using a sharp tipped knife, make a 'T' shaped slit in the peppers, and deseed them.
3. Stuff the peppers with the two cheeses. Set aside.
4. In a large frying pan, pour in 2-3 inches of vegetable oil and heat to 360 degree F.
5. In the meantime, in a large, dry and grease free stand mixer bowl, add the egg whites and whisk them to soft peak stage. You can do this using a hand beater or a wire whisk as well.
6. In a medium size mixing bowl, add the egg yolks and beat them until light and frothy. Work in 1 tablespoon of flour and teaspoon of salt.
7. Add 1/3 of the egg yolk mixture to the beaten egg whites and gently and lightly fold in. Repeat, folding in all the egg yolk mixture, little by little, into the egg whites, until you get a light and fluffy egg batter.
8. When the oil has reached 360 degree F, reduce the heat slightly so as to maintain temperature at 350 degree F.
9. Roll one stuffed poblano pepper at a time in the flour dusting off excess. Then dip into the egg batter and coat well.
10. Drop the coated pepper into the hot oil, place it slit side down. Fry on all sides until nicely and evenly golden brown. Remove onto absorbent paper to drain.
11. Coat and fry remaining peppers.
12. Serve the hot fried Chile Rellenos accompanied by refried beans, sliced avocado and green and red salsa on the side.