- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Fresh and Savory Chile Relleno Recipe Video
|Cheese||16 Ounce (Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack or other mild white “chewy” cheese)|
|Egg||8 Medium, separated|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Pepper||10 Medium (Anaheim, Poblano, or Pasilla)|
|Garlic powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 1063 Calories from Fat 657
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 74 g114.4%
Saturated Fat 30.5 g152.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 491.3 mg
Sodium 1423.7 mg59.3%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.9%
Sugars 2.1 g
Protein 46 g92.8%
Vitamin A 31.3% Vitamin C 0.38%
Calcium 87.5% Iron 30.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Broil 8-10 peppers (lay them flat on a cookie sheet) until skins are seared, slightly blackened on both sides.
2. Score peppers on one side only.
3. Gently open each pepper to rinse inside its cavity and remove seeds (seeds will make chile rellenos hot and bitter).
4. Cut cheese into rectangular strips (approx 1-1.5 oz. for each pepper) to fit into the cavity of the pepper.
5. Stuff cavity of each pepper with cheese.
6. In medium sized bowl - whip egg whites to stiff peaks, then gently fold in yolks – set aside.
7. In a flat or shallow bowl or baking dish - mix 2 cups flour with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste – set aside.
8.Dredge stuffed peppers, one at a time in egg then flour mixture, then again in egg and flour mixture to coat well.
9. Place stuffed/dredged peppers in sauté pan, lightly covered in olive oil, over medium heat.
10. Cook 4-5 minutes per side – until golden brown.
11. Top with your favorite guacamole – serve black beans on the side!
For more recipes please visit The Brown Lounge Website