- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Methi Thepla or Dhebra-Fenugreek Leaves Bread Recipe Video
|Dry ingredients for the dough|
|Wheat flour/Whole wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Jowar flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Use according to your taste)|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For dusting while rolling the dough)|
|Wet ingredients for the dough|
|Fenugreek leaves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely|
|Ginger paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Green chili paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For frying the methi thepla|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
Calories 274 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.2%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.65 mg
Sodium 406.4 mg16.9%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.6%
Sugars 2.8 g
Protein 6 g12.4%
Vitamin A 1.8% Vitamin C 0.27%
Calcium 10.1% Iron 11.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Take a bowl, add into it wheat flour, corn flour, jowar flour, sugar, salt, semolina, turmeric powder and sesame seeds. Mix the dry ingredients well.
2. To this add, finely chopped fresh fenugreek leaves, yogurt, oil, ginger, garlic and green chili paste. Mix to combine all the ingredients well.
3. Slowly add water (one tablespoon at a time) and knead to get a soft dough.
4. Once the dough is ready, cover it and let it rest for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Take small portions of the dough, flatten between your palms, dust with a little flour and roll neither too thick nor too thin.
6. The rolled thepla may be roasted or baked on a pan/tawa, flipping sides until done. Drizzle some oil on the edges if required.
7. An alternate option the chef suggests is deep frying the thepla. A little smaller size thepla are rolled out or pressed with your palms and deep fried until golden brown.
8. Serve the theplis as a snack at tea time.
For gluten-free option, use chick pea flour or rice flour instead of wheat flour.