- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Methi Matar Malai (Fenugreek Leaves & Green Peas in Creamy Sauce) Recipe Video
|For the gravy|
|White onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely|
|Salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Add according to your taste)|
|Poppy seeds||1 Teaspoon (Khas khas)|
|Green tomatoes||2 Medium, chopped finely|
|For the fenugreek-green peas mix|
|Ghee||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Green chili paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Green peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Add according to your taste)|
|Fenugreek leaves||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Fresh cilantro||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Cream/Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Fat free half and half may be used as a low fat option)|
Calories 222 Calories from Fat 109
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.9%
Saturated Fat 4.1 g20.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 11.4 mg3.8%
Sodium 311.8 mg13%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.2%
Dietary Fiber 2 g7.9%
Sugars 10.6 g
Protein 4 g8.3%
Vitamin A 11.6% Vitamin C 28.2%
Calcium 8% Iron 6.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Electronic hand blender
To prepare the gravy:
1. Heat a pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil. Add finely chopped onions and saute.
2. When the onions turn golden brown add the cashews, salt, poppy seeds and stir well.
3. Add the finely chopped green tomatoes and some water. Cover it and let it cook for a while until the tomatoes are tender while stirring occasionally.
4. Once cooked, take it off the stove and set aside to cool slightly.
To saute the fenugreek and green peas:
5. Heat another pan. Add a little ghee, and when the ghee melts add cumin seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder and garam masala. Mix the spices for a few seconds.
6. Add the ginger garlic and green chili paste, saute for a couple of minutes.
7. Add the green peas and some salt to taste. Mix well, cover the lid and let it cook on a low-medium heat.
8. Once cooked add the chopped fenugreek leaves and cilantro leaves. Stir well and let it cook uncovered.
9. Once the prepared tomato gravy mix is slightly cool, use a hand blender to blend into a smooth paste. Add this gravy to the pan with fenugreek and green peas. Stir well to combine all the ingredients well. Let it simmer for a few minutes.
10. Add cream and stir gently combining everything, simmer for a few minutes before turning off the stove.
11. Serve this dish hot with rice, roti, naan or paratha.
To reduce the bitterness of the curry, reduce the quantity of the fresh fenugreek leaves and increase the quantity of fresh cilantro added.