- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Meatless Moussaka Recipe
|Eggplants||2 Large, sliced 1/2 inch thick but not pared|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|For tomato sauce|
|Onions||3 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Ripe tomatoes||4 Medium, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped, reserve juice|
|Minced fresh mint/1 tablespoon dried mint flakes||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Rosemary leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Canned tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|For cheese filling|
|Cream style cottage cheese||1 Pound (1 Carton)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Rosemary leaves||1⁄8 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Ground mace||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2409 Calories from Fat 1355
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 153 g235.7%
Saturated Fat 47.1 g235.7%
Trans Fat 0.7 g
Cholesterol 383.6 mg
Sodium 10991.4 mg458%
Total Carbohydrates 163 g54.3%
Dietary Fiber 44.2 g176.6%
Sugars 89.2 g
Protein 120 g239.3%
Vitamin A 219% Vitamin C 314.7%
Calcium 198.2% Iron 77%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Meanwhile, make Tomato Sauce: Saute onions and garlic in the 2 tablespoons oil in a large, heavy skillet over moderate heat about 8 minutes until limp and golden. Add the tomatoes and their juice, mint, parsley, sugar, salt, pepper and rosemary; heat uncovered, stirring constantly, until tomatoes begin to release their juices. Cover, reduce heat to moderately low and simmer 1 hour; stir in tomato sauce and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes longer.
3. Prepare the Cheese Filling while the tomato sauce simmers: Mix together cottage cheese, egg, the 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan, salt, pepper, rosemary and mace; refrigerate until needed.
4. Brush both sides of each egg plant slice lightly with olive oil or vegetable oil; place the slices on broiler pan, slide pan under the broiler and brown the slices quickly on each side.
5. To assemble moussaka, spoon half the Tomato Sauce over the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Sprinkle generously with the grated Parmesan, then arrange half the browned eggplant slices on top. Spread with the cheese filling, sprinkle with grated Parmesan, arrange the remaining eggplant slices on top, sprinkle with grated Parmesan and, finally, cover with remaining Tomato Sauce and one last sprinkling of grated Parmesan.
6. Bake in moderate oven (375°) for 45 minutes, or until bubbling and browned; remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes before cutting into serving-size squares.