- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Meat Loaf En Croute Recipe
|Dry bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Packaged)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Green pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Marjoram leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lean pork||1 1⁄2 Pound, ground|
|Chuck||1⁄2 Pound, ground|
|Piecrust mix||11 Ounce (1 package)|
|Egg yolk||1 , mixed with 2 teaspoons water|
Calories 359 Calories from Fat 103
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17.7%
Saturated Fat 4.2 g21.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 154 mg
Sodium 680 mg28.3%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g11.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.9 g7.6%
Sugars 3.1 g
Protein 29 g58.4%
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 14.2%
Calcium 3.9% Iron 30.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large bowl, put together eggs, bread crumbs, milk, onion, green pepper, salt, marjoram and pepper.
2. Using a fork beat the ingredients until well combined; let it stand for 5 minutes.
3. Add in the ground pork and ground chuck; using a form mix it well.
4. Line a 9x5x23/4 inch loaf pan with a large piece of foil to overlap about 6 inches for packing.
5. Place the prepared meat mixture in the pan and refrigerate for 1 hour until well chilled.
6. Prepare the piecrust mix by following direction on the package and form a ball.
7. On a lightly floured surface or pastry cloth, roll the pastry dough into a 18x14 inch rectangle.
8. Slice a 4-inch strip from one end and keep aside for decoration.
9. Place the chilled meat loaf in centre of the pastry and fold all the 4 sides over the meat loaf to encase it.
10. Moisten the edges lightly with water and press the edges to seal.
11. Place the loaf on a 12x16 inch foil with the seal side down.
12. From the reserved pastry strip, cut strips of 1/3 inch width and make stem.
13. Cut ¾ inch width flower patterns with cutters.
14. Using a knife, cut out leaf patterns.
15. Moisten the pieces and place decoratively over the pastry; press them lightly to stick.
16. Wrap the loaf in foil, seal and freeze until baked.
17. Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
18. Using a knife or cutter, make 2-3 holes of about ½ inch diameter in the meat loaf.
19. Place the loaf on a shallow roasting pan and brush with egg yolk and water mixture.
20. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 2 hours until golden-brown and meat loaf is thoroughly cooked.
21. Shift the meatloaf to a warm serving plate and let it stand for 15 minutes.
22. Slice Meat Loaf En Croute and serve with mushroom sauce.
1. The prepared meat mixture can be sealed, labelled and freezed until use.
2. The prepared meat loaf can also be sealed, labelled and freezed until you are ready to bake.
3. Baked Meat Loaf En Croute can also be stored at 0° Fahrenheit for several months.