- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Meat Balls Caribe Recipe
|Ground beef||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Grated lime rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Bacon slices||6 , diced|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Canned condensed beef broth||10 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Potatoes||6 Medium, peeled and quartered|
|Green peppers||2 Large, halved, seeded and chopped|
|Ripe tomatoes||2 Large, peeled and quartered|
|Ripe olives||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), sliced|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3370 Calories from Fat 1727
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 193 g296.5%
Saturated Fat 69.2 g345.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 490.3 mg
Sodium 6657 mg277.4%
Total Carbohydrates 282 g94%
Dietary Fiber 41.8 g167.4%
Sugars 42.9 g
Protein 160 g320.3%
Vitamin A 97.9% Vitamin C 951.8%
Calcium 33.1% Iron 113.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Saute bacon until crisp in a large skillet; remove.
3. Brown meat balls, half at a time, in bacon drippings; remove with a slotted spoon; reserve.
4. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings from skillet, then saute onions just until soft.
5. Stir beef broth, water, salt, cayenne and bay leaf into drippings in skillet, return meat balls; cover. Simmer 10 minutes.
6. Add potatoes; simmer for 20 minutes, or until almost done.
7. Remove meat balls and potatoes with a slotted spoon. Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid into flour until smooth in a small cup, then stir back into remaining liquid in skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens and bubbles 1 minute.
8. Return meat balls and potatoes to skillet. Add green pepper, tomatoes, and olives; cover; reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes longer. Top with crisp bacon.