- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mathiya or Mathia Recipe - Diwali Special Recipe Video
|Math dal flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs) (Brown bean flour)|
|Urad dal flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Black gram flour)|
|Red chili powder/White chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ghee||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use as needed)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Use as per taste)|
|Papad khar||1 Teaspoon|
|Carom seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Oil||18 Tablespoon, divided (16 tbsp For deep frying + 2 tbsp For spreading on the dough)|
|Urad dal flour||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 115 Calories from Fat 28
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g5%
Saturated Fat 0.97 g4.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3 mg
Sodium 254.1 mg10.6%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.1%
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 5 g9.9%
Vitamin A 4.6% Vitamin C 2.3%
Calcium 7.2% Iron 4.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Roller pin
2. Flat board
3. A pair of tongs
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the mathiya flour, urad dal flour, white chili powder and mix well.
2. Add ghee and using your hands combine the ghee to the flour mixture well.
3. To a half cup of warm water, add salt, sugar, papad khar and carom seeds. Stir and gradually add this water to knead the dough.
4. Using a stone mortar, pound the dough well till the dry portions in the dough vanish.
5. Once the pounding is done with, spread a little oil in your palm and stretch the dough well with your hands several times. This would make the dough soft. Make the dough into a round ball.
6. Divide the dough into workable portions and using your palms, press each portion of the dough onto the board, roll and pull to form a tube like shape of 1-inch thickness. Spread oil on the tube shaped dough to prevent it from drying.
7. Once the tubes are done, keep them in an air tight container to prevent drying. Take one tube at a time and cut small pieces and put them into the airtight container.
8. In a bowl add the urad dal flour and ghee and mix, put in all the mathiya pieces into this bowl and coat them well with the urad dal and ghee mixture.
9. Using a roller pin, roll out the mathiyas very thin and lay them out on a large flat plate. Do not stack them one on top of the other.
10. In a pan heat oil for deep frying, and fry one mathiya at a time, flipping sides using the tongs. Fry each of them only till the edges turn slightly brown. Reduce the heat if the oil gets too hot.
11. Serve the mathiyas fresh.