- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Marinated Herrings Recipe
|Cider vinegar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3358 Calories from Fat 1548
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 172 g265%
Saturated Fat 37.5 g187.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1080.1 mg
Sodium 2172.1 mg90.5%
Total Carbohydrates 78 g26%
Dietary Fiber 16.5 g66.2%
Sugars 31.2 g
Protein 339 g677.4%
Vitamin A 37.4% Vitamin C 103.3%
Calcium 139.7% Iron 143.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Clean and slice the herring. Also, remove the heads and backbones of the herring but surely not the tail. Use a paper towel to pat them dry.
2. Wash, peel and slice the onions in thin round shapes. Make some rings out of those slices.
3. Pre-heat the oven at 350°F.
4. Open the mouth of the herrings and spread about 1 spoon full of mustard in it.
5. Slice the pickle lengthwise into three pieces and place every piece crosswise at the head of the herring.
6. Place some smaller onion rings down the body length. Also, roll each herring from head to tail, securing it with toothpicks.
7. Take a baking sheet and arrange the rolls on them. Keep the strained marinade on them.
Sprinkle all the leftover onion rings.
8. Cover the pan using a foil and place in inside the pre-heated oven for baking. Ideally, the bake of the herrings should be for 15 minutes.
9. Marinade and keep the mixture in the refrigerator for about 2 days.
10. Always remove the tooth picks prior to serving. Also, serve the herrings along with some thin slices of rye bread or pumpernickel.