- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Oriental Mapo Tofu Recipe Video
|Sesame oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground pork||3 1⁄2 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|Chopped garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Chili bean paste||1⁄2 Tablespoon (Doubanjiang)|
|Sweet bean sauce||1 Tablespoon (Tian Mian Jiang)|
|For chicken stock|
|Granulated chicken stock||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Chinese-Style)|
|Hot water||5 Fluid Ounce (150 Milliliters)|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Firm tofu||12 1⁄4 Ounce (1 Block Or 350 Grams)|
|Garlic chives||1 Ounce (30 Grams)|
|Potato starch||2 Teaspoon|
|Sichuan pepper||To Taste|
|Steamed rice with millet||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 423 Calories from Fat 146
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.7%
Saturated Fat 4 g20.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 17.9 mg
Sodium 674.3 mg28.1%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.8%
Dietary Fiber 6.4 g25.5%
Sugars 6.5 g
Protein 19 g38.4%
Vitamin A 0.1% Vitamin C 6.2%
Calcium 23% Iron 20%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Place a dish over the tofu as weight and let it sit for 20 minutes.
3. Remove the root end of the garlic clove.
4. Press the garlic clove with the side of the knife.
5. Remove the skin and chop the garlic finely.
6. Slice the ginger thinly, stalk and chop finely.
7. Remove the root end of garlic chives. Cut them in half and chop them in half inch pieces.
8. Take granulated chicken stock in a measuring cup and add warm water to it.
9. Stir to dissolve well.
10. Dissolve potato starch in twice its volume of water.
11. After 20 minutes, gently remove the paper towel from the tofu.
12. Cut the tofu horizontally into 2 blocks.
13. Cut vertically across the tofu.
14. Finally dice up the tofu in ¾ inch cubes.
15. To make mapo tofu, heat up the pan and add the sesame seed oil.
16. Swirl the pan to coat it with oil
17. Stir fry the ground pork at high heat while breaking it into small pieces.
18. When the pork is thoroughly cooked and the color becomes clear, add chopped garlic and ginger and reduce the heat to medium.
19. Stir fry until aromatic.
20. Push the pork aside and make space on the pan. Pour Doubanjiang - Chili Bean Paste and Tian Mian Jiang directly on the heated surface and fry on low heat to increase the flavor.
21. Stir constantly to avoid burning.
22. Mix the condiments and pork together and stir fry until evenly browned.
23. Add sake and fry until the moisture is gone.
24. Add chicken stock, sake and soy sauce to the mixture and stir lightly.
25. Put the tofu cubes and gently stir them in the pan.
26. Bring the sauce to a boil at high heat.
27. When it starts to boil, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
28. This will reduce the moisture of tofu and let it absorb the flavor of the sauce.
29. Add the garlic chives and gently stir with the wooden spatula.
30. Dissolve the potato starch evenly in water before adding it to the mapo tofu.
31. Lift the pan from the burner while adding the starch and swirl the pan while adding the starch to the pan.
32. Gently mix by a wooden spatula by sliding it away from you otherwise the tofu breaks into pieces.
33. Heat on high heat for 30 seconds.
34. Turn off the burner and serve in a bowl.
35. Sprinkle Sichuan pepper if you like.