- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipe
|Bacon slices||4 , diced|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Canned tomatoes||12 Ounce|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Potatoes||3 Medium, diced (Pared)|
Calories 147 Calories from Fat 13
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g2.3%
Saturated Fat 0.29 g1.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 28.6 mg9.5%
Sodium 631.3 mg26.3%
Total Carbohydrates 22 g7.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g13.9%
Sugars 2.4 g
Protein 13 g26.4%
Vitamin A 69.2% Vitamin C 54.8%
Calcium 8.5% Iron 73%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In large kettle, saute bacon until almost crisp and cook adding onion cook until tender—about 5 minutes.
2. Add carrots, celery and parsley and cook over low heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Reserving liquid in 1-quart measure drain tomatoes and add to vegetables in kettle.
4. Drain clams and set aside.
5. Add clam liquid to tomato liquid and water to make 1-1/2 quarts liquid.
6. Pour into kettle and bring to boiling adding salt, peppercorns, bay leaf and thyme.
7. Reduce heat and simmer with cover for 45 minutes.
8. Add potatoes cover and cook for 20 minutes.
9. Chop clams add to chowder and simmer, uncovered for15 minutes.
10. Serve hot.