- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Manhattan Fish Chowder Recipe
|Fish fillets/Fish steaks||1 Pound (Use Either Fresh Or Frozen)|
|Chopped bacon/Salt pork||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Boiling water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Pound (1 Can)|
|Diced potatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Diced carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Catsup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh thyme/1 teaspoon dried||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Red pepper flakes||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 150 Calories from Fat 29
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.9%
Saturated Fat 0.77 g3.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 53.5 mg
Sodium 625.6 mg26.1%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g4.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.7%
Sugars 3.8 g
Protein 18 g35.5%
Vitamin A 50.5% Vitamin C 21.1%
Calcium 8.7% Iron 9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Remove the frozen fish from freezer and let thaw at room temperatur for 15 minutes.
2. Remove any bones, skin, if any, and dice the fish fillets into 1-inch pieces. Keep aside.
3. Heat a cooking casserole or Dutch oven over medium heat.
4. Add the chopped bacon or salt pork and sautÃ© it to render fat and until it has browned.
5. Add onion and sautÃ© it until it is soft and light golden.
6. Add the vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, catsup, herbs and seasonings to the casserole and stir.
7. Pour in the boiling water and stir well.
8. Allow the soup to come to a boil.
9. Cover the casserole and reduce heat. Let the vegetables simmer for about 30 minutes until tender.
10. Add the fish cubes to the boiling liquid and gently stir once.
11. Let the soup simmer for a few minutes, just until the fish is cooked and flakes easily.
12. Ladle the hot soup, vegetables, and fish into soup bowls.
13. Serve with crusty bread.