- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Malt Loaf Recipe
|Margarine||2 Teaspoon (To Grease Tin And Baking Tray)|
|Plain flour||12 Ounce, sifted (350 Gram)|
|Bicarbonate of soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground mixed spice||1 Teaspoon|
|Sultanas/Raisins /mixture of both||9 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Demerara sugar||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Malt extract||1⁄2 Pint (275 Milliliter)|
|Eggs||2 Medium, beaten|
|Milk||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
Calories 426 Calories from Fat 40
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.9%
Saturated Fat 1.4 g6.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64 mg
Sodium 261.7 mg10.9%
Total Carbohydrates 92 g30.6%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.1%
Sugars 37.1 g
Protein 7 g14.8%
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 2.6%
Calcium 12.3% Iron 7.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Let the oven heat to 300°F (150°C/Gas 2).
2. Take an 18 cm (7 in) square tin, with a depth of 6 cm (2 1/2 in), grease and line it.
3. At the base of a baking tray grease large enough to cover the tin.
4. In a bowl mix together the flour, salt, soda, baking powder and spice stirring in the dried fruit.
5. In a saucepan, slowly heat the sugar and malt extract.
6. Do not boil.
7. Into the dry ingredients pour the malt mixture and with a wooden spoon beat well.
8. Beating the eggs gradually add with the milk to the mixture, beating hard until the mixture is well blended.
9. Thereafter flip into the prepared tin.
10. Using the baking tray cover, greased side down.
11. Keep an ovenproof weight on top and bake for 1 1/2-1 3/4 hours.
12. To check if loaf is cooked, remove the weight and the baking tray and insert a skewer to see if it comes out clean.
13. Take out of the oven and turn out on to a wire rack to cool.
14. When cold, wrap in foil and store for 2-3 days before serving.