- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Makrout - Moroccan Date Cookie Recipe Video
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|For the dough|
|Cornmeal||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Orange blossom water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), melted (1 stick)|
|For the filling|
|Dates||2 Cup (32 tbs), pitted|
|Orange blossom water||1 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Honey||1 Cup (16 tbs), warmed (as required)|
|Orange blossom water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (as required)|
Calories 751 Calories from Fat 204
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.8%
Saturated Fat 11.8 g58.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 45.7 mg
Sodium 66.9 mg2.8%
Total Carbohydrates 140 g46.7%
Dietary Fiber 9 g36%
Sugars 91.9 g
Protein 6 g12.3%
Vitamin A 10.8% Vitamin C 0.85%
Calcium 3.9% Iron 15%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a steamer or a pot, steam the dates for 30 minutes. Set aside.
2. DOUGH: In a bowl, mix cornmeal, sugar and salt. Slowly add the melted butter while mixing thoroughly.
3. Transfer the cornmeal mixture onto a flat surface. Knead the mixture while adding the blossom water until it forms a soft dough.
4. FILLING: In a food processor put steamed dates, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Blend till smooth.
5. MAKROUT: Make long bars with the date paste. With the dough make similar bars a little thicker.
6. Using a knife make an incision through the center all along the dough bar. With fingers separate the dough further and place the date bar in it.
7. Cover the dough around the dates and cut it into small pieces.
8. In a bowl, mix warm honey and orange blossom water. Set aside.
9. In a deep pan, heat oil to very hot. Place each piece carefully into it and fry till golden brown. Transfer into paper towel to drain off excess oil.
10. Dip it immediately into a bowl with warm honey and orange blossom mixture.
11. In a serving plate, serve the Makrout warm as a dessert.