- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hot Cross Buns Recipe Video
|Luke warm||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried yeast||2 Tablespoon|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Egg yolk||1 Medium|
|Egg white||1 Medium|
|Lemon zest||2 Teaspoon|
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs) (dark and golden)|
|Powdered sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (for the glaze)|
|Vanilla||1 Teaspoon (for the glaze)|
Calories 306 Calories from Fat 77
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.4%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 47.5 mg15.8%
Sodium 133.5 mg5.6%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.2%
Sugars 23 g
Protein 7 g14.6%
Vitamin A 1.3% Vitamin C 1.8%
Calcium 3.3% Iron 12.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Pre heat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit.
2. In a small bowl, take the lukewarm water and add the yeast using a spoon to stir the mixture to dissolve it. Let it stand for about 10 minutes until it turns frothy on the top.
3. In a separate container, warm the milk,sugar,oil and salt in the microwave for 2 minutes.
4. In another bowl, take 2 1/2 cups of flour and drop the cinnamon in it.
5. In the bowl of the stand mixer, combine the milk mixture with the dissolved yeast and empty the flour mixture in it.
6. Drop in the 3 eggs and the egg yolk.
7. Pulse it all the while at low speed. Once the ingredients are added, pulse it on high speed for 3 minutes as the dough comes together.
8. Use a wooden spatula or a hook attachment further on. Add the raisins and the lemon peel and the remaining 1 1/2 cups of flour and let it all get incorporated.
9. Remove the hook attachment and use hands to bring the dough together.Work on it for about 5 minutes and let it sit on a greased bowl and cover it with a damp cloth and put in in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
10. The dough will be double in size.Knock it down and let it rest for 10 minutes again.
11. Divide it into 16 equal parts and work on each individual part and shape them like a small bun.Cover with damp towel and let it rest for 40 minutes again.
12.Cut a shallow cross on the top of each bun and brush with whisked egg wash.Save the remaining egg white for the glaze.
13. Bake in a 375 degrees Farenheit oven for 15 minutes.
14. Prepare the glaze with the powdered sugar, egg white, milk and vanilla. Stir until thick and smooth. Pour in a pastry bag and pipe across the hot cross buns while they are still warm.
15. Serve warm as they are with butter.