- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hanukkah Donuts Recipe Video
|For the dough|
|Shortening||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|For the yeast mixture|
|Water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Dry yeast||7 Gram|
|For the glaze|
|Shortening||2 Tablespoon, melt|
|Oil||300 Milliliter (For frying)|
Calories 495 Calories from Fat 337
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g58.6%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g30.5%
Trans Fat 0.9 g
Cholesterol 20.3 mg
Sodium 14.2 mg0.6%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.6%
Dietary Fiber 0.99 g4%
Sugars 10.7 g
Protein 5 g9.2%
Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2.7% Iron 9.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a stand mixer bowl cream the shortening and sugar until nice and fluffy, add egg and let it combine.
2. In a small bowl mix water, sugar and dry active yeast.
3. Once the eggs have been incorporated completely, add the yeast mixture, 1 cup of flour and milk to the stand mixer bowl and blend until you get a no lumps batter.
4. Once done replace the mixing hook with the dough hook and add the remaining flour and blend for 5 minutes or until you get smooth and even dough.
5. You can now replace the dough hook with the paddle hook which will help you to scrape out all the dough which is stuck on the sides of the mixing bowl.
6. Once the dough is ready transfer the dough into a large bowl which has been greased with little oil, cover it with cling wrap and let it rest for 60 minute until it’s doubled in volume.
7. After 60 minutes floor your worktop and roll out the dough to ½ inch to 3/8 inch thickness.
8. Once it’s rolled out use a cookie cutter and cut in shape of a doughnut, place the doughnut on a tray and let them rest for 30 minutes.
9. Make the glaze now by blending melted shortening along with water one tablespoon at a time.
10. In a deep frying pan pour oil let the temperature raises upto 375 degree, and start frying the doughnuts until golden brown on each side.
11. Once done remove with a slotted spoon or chopstick and drain on the kitchen towel.
12. Take a hot doughnut and dip it in the glaze, sprinkle some nice sprinklers, and let it rest.
13. Fry the remaining doughnut holes and keep it aside.
14. Serve the doughnuts and enjoy.
Fry the doughnuts one shade lighter than what you desire because once it is removed from the oil the cooking process continues while it is hot.
Don’t over crowd the pan or else the temperature of the oil will drop.
Incase the shortening is not of the desired temperature you can immerse the bottom of the bowl in warm water or heat the bowl using a blow torch.
You can make the dough in advance and keep it in the fridge until needed.