- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Steamed Dungeness Crab in a Spicy Indonesian Sauce Recipe Video
|Crab||4 Pound, separated (cleaned and cracked)|
|Tamarind||2 Medium (pods, for tamarind salsa)|
|White onion||1 Medium, coarsely chopped (for tamarind salsa)|
|Serrano chile||2 Tablespoon, minced (for tamarind salsa)|
|Garlic clove||2 Tablespoon, minced (for tamarind salsa)|
|Fresh ginger||2 Tablespoon, minced (for tamarind salsa)|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon (for tamarind salsa)|
|Corn starch||2 Tablespoon (for tamarind salsa)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon (for tamarind salsa)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Medium (for crab reduction sauce)|
|Celery||2 Medium, cut in half (stalks, for crab reduction sauce)|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs) (for crab reduction sauce)|
|Bay leaf||2 Medium (for crab reduction sauce)|
Calories 552 Calories from Fat 113
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g19.5%
Saturated Fat 2.1 g10.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 353.8 mg117.9%
Sodium 1775.1 mg74%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g10.2%
Sugars 5.1 g
Protein 84 g168.4%
Vitamin A 4.3% Vitamin C 43.8%
Calcium 45.2% Iron 23.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) To make the crab reduction sauce, in a saucepan, put all the ingredients for the sauce together and mix.
2) Gently simmer until the liquid is reduced to 2 cups.
3) To make the tamarind salsa, peel the tamarind's shell and soak in water. Discard seeds, and just keep the pulp.
4) Saute the chopped onion, minced Serrano peppers, minced garlic and minced ginger in two tablespoons olive oil for about 5 minutes.
5) Add the crab sauce and soy sauce and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
6) In a blender or food processor, combine the sauteed ingredients with the crab sauce and tamarind pulp. Process well until smooth.
7) Put the processed Indonesian sauce back into the pan and bring gently to a boil.
8) In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with water and slowly add to sauce while stirring it all the time.
9) Return the mixture to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes, until slightly thickened.
10) Steam the cracked crab pieces for 5 minutes and then place them in a large bowl.
11) Add the sauce and coat well.
12) Serve immediately while the preparation is still fresh and tangy. The sauce adds a spicy flavor to the otherwise plain crabs and makes the perfect combination. The dish goes really well with wine.