- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Making Biltong Recipe Video
|Beef||4 Pound (London Broil)|
|Coarse salt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Coriander seeds||3 Tablespoon|
|Black peppercorn||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground coriander||2 Teaspoon|
|Chipotle peppers||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|White wine vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|White distilled vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Worcestershire sauce||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 325 Calories from Fat 170
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.1%
Saturated Fat 7.1 g35.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 93.8 mg
Sodium 6822.7 mg284.3%
Total Carbohydrates 4 g1.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.4%
Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 32 g63.5%
Vitamin A 4.4% Vitamin C 2.8%
Calcium 4.4% Iron 22.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. On a wooden cutting board, place the meat.
2. Cut long strips about 3/4 inches thick along the grain of the meat.
3. Cut each strip again longitudinally into 4 strips.
4. Sprinkle coarse salt in the bottom of a glass baking dish.
5. Layer in the meat strips in the dish.
5. Add another layer of salt.
6. Place in yet another layer of meat strips. Place the thicker pieces in the bottom and the thinner pieces on top.
7. Sprinkle another layer of salt on top.
8. Cover with aluminium foil and leave it in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
9. In a mortar and pestle, roughly grind the coriander seeds and the black peppercorns.
10.Add the ground coriander, chipotle pepper powder, paprika and baking soda and grind into a spice rub.
11.In a glass mixing bowl, pour in the white wine and the white distilled vinegar.
12.Add the Worcestershire sauce in it and give it a stir.
13.Take out the meat from the refrigerator. By now the salt would have extracted a lot of liquid from it.
14.Rinse each strip in the vinegar, wine and Worcestershire sauce solution by dipping it in it. Shake off the excess liquid.
15.In a large glass baking dish, place the rinsed strips of meat.
16.Once the first layer of meat is in, generously sprinkle in a layer of the biltong spice mixture made in the mortar and pestle.
17.Flip the meat pieces over to allow them to be well coated with the spice.
18.Spoon in some more of the dry spice rub to fully coat the meat strips with it.
19.Repeat the same process with the second layer of meat strips.
20.Finally, sprinkle the rest of the spice mixture from the top.
21.Drizzle in a few spoonfuls of the vinegar mixture on top and put it back in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
22.In a drying rack, hang the meat pieces to dry with the help of sterilized hooks. Turn the fan on.
23.Let it dry for 3 days or more according to your taste.
24.Take them off the hook and serve and enjoy as a snack.