- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Mahogany Soup Recipe
|Dried porcini mushrooms||1 Ounce (1/2 Cup)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Orzo pasta/Tubettini pasta||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Skinless boneless chicken breasts||1 1⁄2 Pound (Use 2 Whole)|
|Fresh spinach||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 423 Calories from Fat 50
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g8.5%
Saturated Fat 2 g9.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.5 mg
Sodium 383 mg16%
Total Carbohydrates 40 g13.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.6%
Sugars 2.1 g
Protein 51 g101.1%
Vitamin A 134.3% Vitamin C 37.3%
Calcium 17.9% Iron 23.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Rinse and break mushrooms into small pieces.
2) Cut the chicken into 1/2-inch cubes.
3) Stem and rinse the spinach leaves.
4) In a 4-quart saucepan, bring the mushrooms, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and the water to a boil over a high heat.
5) Stir in the orzo, cook partially covered over a medium heat for 10 minutes until the pasta is tender
6) Stir in the chicken and allow to simmer for 1 to 2 minutes until the chicken is just tender.
7) Stir in 1/3 spinach leaves until just wilted, stir in 1/2 the remaining leaves until wilted then stir the remaining leaves.
8) When all the spinach has wilted but is still bright green,turn off the heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
9) Ladle the soup into bowls and serve immediately with the Parmesan on the side.