- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
|Unsalted butter||5 1⁄2 Tablespoon, softened|
|Dry bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg||1 (At Room Temperature)|
|Egg yolks||2 (At Room Temperature)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sifted flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 Large, finely grated peel|
Calories 217 Calories from Fat 121
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21%
Saturated Fat 7.9 g39.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 126.5 mg
Sodium 46.7 mg1.9%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.5%
Sugars 8.8 g
Protein 4 g7.5%
Vitamin A 9.2% Vitamin C 18%
Calcium 3.2% Iron 6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Cut up the 1/4 cup of butter and, in a small pan over low heat, melt it, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool but do not let it harden.
3. In a small bowl of an electric mixer beat the egg, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla at high speed for about 15 minutes, or until the mixture barely flows when beaters are lifted. On lowest speed gradually add the flour, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula as necessary and beating only until the flour is incorporatedâ€”do not overbeat. Remove from mixer. (Use your fingertips to remove the batter from the beaters.)
4. Fold in the lemon peel and then, in four or five additions, the cooled butter, folding only until no butter shows. Bake immediatelyâ€”do not let the batter stand.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared forms. The batter will be mounded slightly above the tops of the forms. Do not smooth; the batter will level itself.
6. Bake for 18 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown and spring back firmly when lightly touched. If necessary, reverse the position of the pan for the last few minutes of baking to ensure even browning. The Madeleines must be removed from the pan immediately. Quickly cover the pan with a rack or a cookie sheet and invert. Remove the pan. Cool the Madeleines on a rack.