- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Macher Matha Diye Mug Dal Recipe
|Split moog dal||200 Gram, lightly roasted in dry skillet|
|Fish head||500 Gram, halved|
|Ground ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Red chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Garam masala powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Green cardamom||4 , crushed|
|Cinnamon stick||1 , crushed|
|Cloves||4 , crushed|
|Cumin seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato||1 Large, pureed|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Green chilli||3 , slit lengthwise|
|Dry red chili||2|
|Mustard oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For deep frying)|
Calories 190 Calories from Fat 49
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8.4%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g6.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
Sodium 71 mg3%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g6.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.3%
Sugars 3.6 g
Protein 15 g31%
Vitamin A 12.8% Vitamin C 21.9%
Calcium 7.8% Iron 23.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Wash the fish heads thoroughly and season with 1 teaspoon salt and ½ tablespoon turmeric powder. Keep aside.
2) In a bowl, soak the roasted lentil in sufficient hot water for 30 minutes.
3) Boil the lentil in a saucepan by adding salt, according to your taste.
4) In a dry skillet, heat oil over high heat.
5) Fry the fish head halves, in both sides.
6) Drain extra oil and keep aside.
7) In the same oil, add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and dry red chili to fry until it releases the flavor.
8) Add onion to sauté until translucent.
9) Add the tomato puree, ground ginger, turmeric powder, cumin powder and red pepper powder. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the spices all together for 5 minutes, until it releases oil.
10) Place the fried fish head in the skillet and break them in smaller pieces.
11) Cook the fish head for 5 minutes and combine with the spices.
12) Pour in the boiled lentil and mix well.
13) Add the green chili.
14) Simmer the lentil for another 5 minutes or until it reaches the preferred consistency.
15) Transfer the preparation in a large bowl.
16) Sprinkle garam masala powder and spread ghee on top.
17) Cover the bowl with a lid and let it stand for 15-20 minutes, before you serve.
18) Serve the daal with warm rice. Add a bowl of fresh salad on side.