- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lutece's Tart A L'Orange Recipe
|Frozen patty shells||12 Ounce, thawed (1 Package)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Ladyfingers||6 (Use Packaged Type)|
|Apricot preserves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grand marnier||6 Tablespoon|
Calories 774 Calories from Fat 225
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.6%
Saturated Fat 7.5 g37.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 185.1 mg
Sodium 230 mg9.6%
Total Carbohydrates 122 g40.5%
Dietary Fiber 7.5 g30.1%
Sugars 67.2 g
Protein 11 g21.2%
Vitamin A 22.3% Vitamin C 237.1%
Calcium 15.6% Iron 6.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Arrange patty shells in a circle, just touching, on a floured surface. Roll out, keeping circular shape, to a 12-inch round. Fit into a 9-inch layer-cake pan with removable bottom or a 9-inch fluted quiche pan. Turn edge under; crimp. Fit a piece of foil into shell; fill shell with beans or rice.
3. Put shell into preheated oven; immediately turn heat down to 400°. Bake shell 15 minutes; remove beans and foil. Sprinkle bottom with 2 tablespoons sugar; prick lightly with a fork. Bake 20 minutes longer, or until golden and crisp and sugar starts to caramelize. Cool on wire rack.
4. Grate rind from 1 orange; reserve rind. Squeeze enough oranges to yield 1 1/2 cups juice.
5. Beat egg yolks slightly in top of double boiler. Beat in sugar and flour; stir in orange juice. Cook over hot, not boiling, water until very thick, about 7 minutes, or until mixture mounds when dropped from spoon; cool. Add orange and lemon rinds.
6. Split ladyfingers in half. Slice each half lengthwise in half again.
7. Simmer apricot preserves and the 1 tablespoon sugar with 2 tablespoons of the Grand Marnier in a small saucepan, 2 minutes; rub through a fine sieve; cool slightiy.
8. Slice the two remaining oranges in paper-thin slices; remove any seeds. (Notch edges, if you wish.) Put on a large plate; sprinkle with remaining 4 tablespoons Grand Marnier. Let stand 10 minutes.
9. Spoon orange cream into shell. Arrange the thin slices of ladyfingers over cream to cover completely (a chef's secret to absorb excess juice from orange slices). Fill in spaces with pieces cut to fit. Drain oranges. Sprinkle ladyfingers with liqueur drained from oranges.
10. Arrange orange slices over ladyfingers, slightly overlapping, in a circular pattern. Brush oranges and pastry with the preserves. Cool slightly. Refrigerate, unless serving at once.