- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Low Fat Souther Style Fried Chicken Recipe
|Chicken||3 1⁄2 Pound, cut into serving pieces (1 Piece)|
|Fresh bread crumbs||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon, dried|
|Chopped chives||1 Tablespoon, dried|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||3 Tablespoon|
Calories 462 Calories from Fat 251
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43%
Saturated Fat 7.1 g35.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 133 mg
Sodium 255.4 mg10.6%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.5%
Dietary Fiber 0.45 g1.8%
Sugars 0.5 g
Protein 43 g85.2%
Vitamin A 9.5% Vitamin C 6.1%
Calcium 4% Iron 12.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Skin each piece of chicken by loosening it from one edge with the tip of a sharp knife, then pulling it off with your fingers.
3. In a shallow dish, lightly whisk the egg whites until foamy.
4. On a plate or sheet of wax paper, season and flavor the bread crumbs with the chopped parsley and chives, paprika, salt, and pepper. Spread out evenly.
5. To bread the chicken pieces work in batches, dusting them first with the flour.
6. Dip the floured chicken pieces in the egg whites and coat evenly on both sides. Lift and allow excess egg to drip back into the bowl
7. Place chicken pieces in the seasoned bread crumbs, sprinkling and pressing the bread crumbs onto the flesh with your fingers to get an even layer coating.
8. Place on a platter and coat the remaining pieces.
9. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat until it sizzles when a few bread crumbs are added.
10. Arrange half of the chicken pieces and fry for about 3 minutes each side until well browned.
11. Transfer the fried chicken to a plate and brown the remaining chicken pieces.
12. When all the pieces have been browned, return all the pieces to the skillet.
13. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, until chicken is tender inside and crisp on the out side.
14. Serve the crisp chicken with or without a sauce and a green salad of your choice.