- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Low Fat Chicken Bastillas Recipe
|Thinly sliced onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Minced fresh ginger||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Ground turmeric||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Powdered saffron||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Hot chili flakes||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fat skimmed unsalted chicken broth||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Or Reduced Sodium)|
|Boneless skinless chicken breasts||1 Pound, cut into 1/3 by 2-inch slices|
|Egg whites||4 Large|
|Chopped fresh cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped almonds||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Powdered sugar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Filo dough sheets||6 (12 By 1.7 Inch)|
|Cooking oil spray||1|
|Jalapeno jelly||2 Tablespoon (Red)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1887 Calories from Fat 301
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g53.6%
Saturated Fat 4.7 g23.7%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 263.1 mg
Sodium 1681.3 mg70.1%
Total Carbohydrates 234 g77.9%
Dietary Fiber 21.6 g86.5%
Sugars 54 g
Protein 156 g312.3%
Vitamin A 18.6% Vitamin C 48.6%
Calcium 33.2% Iron 56.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Whisk 1/4 cup of the cooking broth with egg whites just to blend. Place an 8-to 10-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Pour egg mixture into pan and stir just until softly set, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. With a flexible spatula, gently combine egg mixture and cilantro with chicken. Season to taste with salt.
4. In another bowl, combine almonds, 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
5. Working quickly so filo dough doesn't dry out, lightly spray each filo sheet with oil and make 3 stacks of 2 sheets each. From a 17-inch edge, cut each stack of filo dough into 3 equal parts; you'll have 9 stacks. Lay 1 stack of 2 strips at right angles across another. With 6 more stacks, make 3 more crosses; reserve remaining stack for other uses.
6. Using a slotted spoon, mound 1/4 of the chicken mixture (add any accumulated liquid to the reserved cooking broth) onto center of each cross. Sprinkle mounds equally with almond mixture. For each bundle, gather filo strips up over filling and gently squeeze and twist to enclose. Set filo bundles well apart on an oiled 12- by 15-inch baking sheet.
7. Pull back tips of filo strips on each bundle to make "petals." Lightly spray bundles with oil.
8. Bake bastilla pastries in a 400° oven until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes (10 to 12 minutes in a convection oven).
9- Meanwhile, boil reserved broth mixture over high heat until reduced to 2 cups, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour through a fine strainer into a bowl; discard residue. Rinse pan and return broth to it. Add jelly. Mix cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water and add to pan. Set pan over high heat and stir with a whisk until boiling.
10. With a wide spatula, transfer bastillas to plates. Dust with powdered sugar and accompany with sauce.