- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Low Calorie Chicken Soup Recipe
|Whole chicken||1 , skinned and cut into pieces|
|Onions||4 Medium, chopped|
|Carrots||2 , sliced|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm), minced|
|Water||2 Liter (8 Cups)|
|Brown rice||125 Milliliter (1/2 Cup)|
|Fresh parsley||30 Milliliter, minced (2 Tablespoons)|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
Calories 518 Calories from Fat 260
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.4%
Saturated Fat 8.2 g41.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 140.6 mg
Sodium 289.2 mg12%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.4%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 5.2 g
Protein 38 g76.1%
Vitamin A 63.9% Vitamin C 30.3%
Calcium 6.9% Iron 14.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Heat a large saucepan or soup pot over medium high heat.
2. When hot, add chicken, vegetables and garlic to the pan and allow them to sweat, stirring constantly
3. Pour in the water and heat until it reaches a boil
4. Reduce heat, and simmer for about 50 minutes until chicken is tender.
5. Stir in rice, parsley and cayenne.
6. Continue to simmer another 30 to 40 minutes or until rice is tender-firm.
7. Finally stir in tamari.
8. Take pan off the heat and using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken pieces onto a platter.
9. When cool enough to handle, shred the meat off the bones.
10. Add shredded chicken to the soup.
11. Re-heat soup on low flame.
12. Ladle into warm soup plates and serve hot.
13. Accompany with crusty bread if you like.