- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lotus seed paste for mooncakes Recipe Video
|Dried lotus seeds||100 Gram|
|Vegetable oil||60 Milliliter|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1056 Calories from Fat 547
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 62 g95.3%
Saturated Fat 8.1 g40.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 260.8 mg10.9%
Total Carbohydrates 114 g38.2%
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 50 g
Protein 15 g30.8%
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C
Calcium 16.4% Iron 19.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a bowl, place lotus seeds and soak in water for 4 hours.
2. After 4 hours, open the lotus seeds and discard the green part if any.
3. Wash and rinse the opened lotus seeds.
4. In a large pot, place cleaned lotus seeds with 450 milliliter of water.
5. Cover the pot with lid and heat to boil.
6. As the water starts to boil, lower the heat, open the lid slightly and cook for 1 hour.
7. After 1 hour, turn the heat off, cover with lid completely, and leave to soak overnight.
8. Next day, heat the soaked lotus seeds to boil.
9. Using spoon, skim off the foam from surface.
10. Lower the heat and cover with lid, leaving little gap.
11. Cook the lotus seeds for 18 minutes or until they are soft and swollen up.
12. Turn off the heat and allow the lotus seeds to cool.
13. If some of the lotus seeds has black spot on top, cut it off.
14. Using perforated ladle, strain the lotus seeds and place in measuring jug.
15. Add 100 ml of cooking liquid.
16. Using hand blender, blend the lotus seeds to puree.
17. In a non-stick pan, heat 15 ml of vegetable oil, and add lotus seed paste.
18. Turn the heat to medium; stir continuously until the oil is well incorporated.
19. Add remaining oil in 3 parts, stirring continuously until it incorporates well into lotus seed paste.
20. Remove brown bits, from lotus seed paste, while stirring.
21. Add sugar and salt, lower the heat and stir slowly until sugar is dissolved.
22. Stir for 20 minutes, or until the paste sticks together.
23. Turn off the heat and leave the pan on for 1 minute, stirring continuously.
24. In another container, remove the paste and allow to cool.
25, Put the paste, in an airtight container and place plastic film on surface of paste and cover with lid.
26. Use the paste as required to make mooncakes.
Lotus seed paste and be store in refrigerator for 1 week or stored in freezer.
Covering the surface of paste with plastic film, prevents it from drying.