- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Loobia Polo Recipe Video
|For the meat|
|Ground beef||1 Pound (or use 1 ½ pound of stewing beef, cut into 1 inch peices)|
|Onion||1 Large, chop|
|Cracked black pepper||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ginger piece||1 Small, chop (1 inch peice) (Optional)|
|Garlic||2 Teaspoon, mince (Optional)|
|Kebab seasoning||1⁄2 Teaspoon (sheesh kebab seasoning) (Optional)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Oil||6 Tablespoon, divided|
|Green beans||2 Cup (32 tbs) (size 3/4 - 1 inch pieces)|
|Onion||1 Large, dice|
|Tomato paste||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|For the rice & other ingredients|
|Basmati rice||3 Cup (48 tbs), rinsed|
|Salt||4 Tablespoon (Soaked in salt water)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs), soaked (Hot water for soaking)|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Quart (For cooking the rice)|
Calories 597 Calories from Fat 243
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g42%
Saturated Fat 7.3 g36.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40 mg
Sodium 3216.5 mg134%
Total Carbohydrates 72 g24%
Dietary Fiber 4.8 g19.2%
Sugars 5.9 g
Protein 17 g33.9%
Vitamin A 4.4% Vitamin C 21.8%
Calcium 5.6% Iron 18.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedLarge pot
5 quart pot
1. Wash the rice 3-4 times with water; soak the rice for 4 hours in hot water. Add salt to the water.
2. Chop the ginger, garlic and onion, keep it aside.
3. Dice the onions and keep it aside.
4. In a food processor add the onions, ginger, garlic and process it till you get a puree.
5. Take a large mixing bowl and add the meat, turmeric, salt and pepper and also add the onion puree, Mix all the ingredients well.
6. In a pan add 4 tablespoon of oil and sauté the diced onion cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown then add turmeric and meat mix fry this for 5 minute.
7. Add the green beans and stir it well, cover with a lid and cook it for about 8-10 minute stirring occasionally.
8. After 10 minutes, add the tomato paste and cook uncovered for 2-3 minute, once done add 4 cups of water, salt, pepper and lemon juice lower the heat and cover it with cracked lid and cook it for 40 minute on medium heat, stirring occasionally, adjust the salt and pepper and cook further for 10 minutes.
9. After 10 minutes stir and cook for another 10-15 minute uncovered on medium heat, keep stirring.
10. Start cooking the rice, in a five quart pot pour 2.5 quart of water and bring it to boil, drain the soaked rice do not rinse.
11. Cook the rice for 3- 4 minute, once cooked drain the rice in hot water and keep it aside.
12. Preheat the oven at 300 degree.
13. In another pot pour half a cup of water and bring it to boil, add 2 tablespoon of oil and combine water and oil well.
14. Remove the pot from heat and start layering the rice.
15. For the first layer place the rice and then followed by the meat mix, mix them together, this is the only layer that you will mix the rice and meat.
16. Start alternating the rice and meat mixture until all meat and rice is over; keep the meat away from the edges. The rice layer should be the final layer on top.
17. Cook this on medium high heat for 10-15 minute with the lid on.
18. Place a wax paper and then put the lid on so that the steam does not escape so cook in the oven for further 40-45 minutes in preheated oven.
19. Once done remove the top layer in a plate and then mix the rest of the rice and meat together.
20. Serve the loobia polo along with salad –e-gohej khair.