- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
London Buns Recipe
|Fresh yeast/1 level tablespoon dried yeast||1 Ounce (25 Grams Fresh One)|
|Warm milk||1⁄4 Pint (1 1/2 Deciliter)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Pint (1 1/2 Deciliter, Less 4 Tablespoon)|
|Castor sugar||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Strong plain flour||1 Pound (450 Grams)|
|Mixed spice||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Castor sugar||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
|Currants||4 Ounce (100 Grams)|
|Mixed peel||2 Ounce, chopped (50 Grams)|
|Melted butter||2 Ounce (50 Grams)|
|For the glaze|
Calories 215 Calories from Fat 46
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g8%
Saturated Fat 2.9 g14.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 28.8 mg
Sodium 109.3 mg4.6%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.8%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8%
Sugars 6.5 g
Protein 4 g7.1%
Vitamin A 3.1% Vitamin C 16.6%
Calcium 2.9% Iron 2.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven hot to 425°F, 220°C or Gas No. 7.
2) Stir in fresh yeast with warm mixed milk and water, sugar and 4 oz (100 g) of the flour.
3) Let stand for about 20-30 minutes.
4) In the mixing basin add remaining flour, mixed spice and salt.
5) Mix sugar, currants and peel.
6) Add yeast mixture into the dry ingredients, melted butter and lightly mixed eggs.
7) Make into soft bowl and put in a clean bowl.
8) Put in a clean working surface and knead into a smooth dough for about 5 minutes.
9) With hands shape into a ball and keep in the basin.
10) Keep in a large polythene bag.
11) Set aside in room temperature for about 1-1 1/2 hours until the dough doubles.
12) Put in a clean working surface and flatten with palms of the hands.
13) Divide into twelve-fourteen equal parts and using hands shape into a bun.
14) Lightly flour the palm of the hand, place the buns in a clean surface and knock out hard at the beginning and then ease up.
15) Place buns on a lightly-floured baking sheet at some distance.
16) Keep in a greased polythene bag and set aside for about 30 minutes until the dough doubles.
17) Turn the risen dough out and put in oven. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
18) To prepare the glaze, in a saucepan measure sugar and water. Stir over low heat and boil.
19) Simmer for two minutes when still hot brush over the baked buns twice.
20) Let stand on a wire tray to cool.
21) Break the buns apart and serve.