- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Liver Dumplings Recipe
|Stale white bread slice||2 (Including Crusts)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken livers||1⁄4 Pound|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped red onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg whites||2 , lightly beaten|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Parsley||1 Teaspoon, finely chopped|
|Dry breadcrumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 108 Calories from Fat 38
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6.5%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g10.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 85.8 mg
Sodium 340 mg14.2%
Total Carbohydrates 10 g3.4%
Dietary Fiber 0.57 g2.3%
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 7 g13.6%
Vitamin A 53.7% Vitamin C 9.5%
Calcium 3.3% Iron 13.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Soak the bread slices in the milk for about 5 minutes, and then squeeze them dry.
2) Run the bread and chicken livers together through a meat grinder into a mixing bowl, or chop them together finely with a sharp knife.
3) In a heavy 10- or 12-inch skillet, melt the butter.
4) When the foam subsides, add the onions.
5) Cook them for about 8 minutes, or until they are lightly colored, then add them to the bread-and-liver mixture.
6) Stir in the egg whites, salt, a few grindings of pepper and the parsley.
7) Add 1/2-cup breadcrumbs, mix, and put 1 tablespoon of the mixture into a ball.
8) If it is too soft to hold together firmly, add more breadcrumbs by the tablespoon.
9) Dust your hands lightly with flour and form all the mixture into balls about 1 inch in diameter.
10) Bring the soup to boil in which the dumplings are to be cooked, reduce the heat to medium and drop in the dumplings.
11) Boil, uncovered, until the dumplings rise to the surface.
12) Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 or 3 minutes longer.
13) Serve dumplings in the soup they were cooked.