- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Lincoln Log Recipe
|Sifted cake flour||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sifted confectioners sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Pineapple cream filling||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Brown velvet frosting||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Stemmed maraschino cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 510 Calories from Fat 242
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.5%
Saturated Fat 15.1 g75.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 170.7 mg56.9%
Sodium 430.8 mg18%
Total Carbohydrates 60 g20.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g20.4%
Sugars 27.4 g
Protein 12 g24%
Vitamin A 12.5% Vitamin C 2.4%
Calcium 7.7% Iron 21.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Sift together cake flour, cocoa and salt and set aside.
3. Beat egg yolks, sugar, water and vanilla extract until very thick and lemon-colored.
4. Gently fold in dry ingredients until well blended. Set aside.
5. Beat egg whites and salt until frothy.
6. Add cream of tartar and beat slightly.
7. Add sugar gradually, beating well after each addition.
8. Continue beating until very stiff peaks are formed. Gently spread egg yolk mixture over egg whites and carefully fold together until blended. Turn batter into pan and spread evenly to edges.
9. Bake at 325°F about 30 min., or until cake test done.
10. Immediately loosen edges of cake with a sharp knife and turn onto a clean towel sprinkled with confectioners' sugar.
11. Remove paper and cut off any crisp edges of cake. To roll, begin rolling nearest edge of cake. Using towel as a guide, tightly grasp nearest edge of towel and quickly pull it over beyond opposite edge. Cake will roll itself as you pull. Wrap cake in towel and set on cooling rack to cool (about 1/2 hr.).
12. Meanwhile, prepare Pineapple Cream Filling and Brown Velvet Frosting.
13. When ready to fill, carefully unroll cooled cake and spread with the cream filling. Carefully reroll cake. Diagonally cut off tip ends from cake.
14. Frost sides, ends and top of cake roll with the Brown Velvet Frosting.
15. Gently draw back tines of a fork lengthwise through frosting. Repeat parallel lines across top and sides of cake roll. Make some lines slightly wavy. (The lines help to make the cake roll resemble a log.)
16. Chill the cake roll in refrigerator until serving time. (To avoid sogginess, chill roll no longer than 1 hr.)
17. Garnish top of log with stemmed maraschino cherries or surround base of log with the cherries and top each serving of cake roll with one cherry. With a sharp knife, cut roll into crosswise diagonal slices and serve.