- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Limpa Bread Recipe
|Active dry yeast||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Orange zest||1 Teaspoon, finely grated|
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon (Low Fat Or Non Fat)|
|Rye flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Golden raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1890 Calories from Fat 201
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g36%
Saturated Fat 8.9 g44.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 32.3 mg
Sodium 1976 mg82.3%
Total Carbohydrates 385 g128.3%
Dietary Fiber 44.2 g176.7%
Sugars 73.6 g
Protein 53 g106.5%
Vitamin A 15.1% Vitamin C 129.6%
Calcium 40.1% Iron 167.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Place a heavy baking sheet in the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons warm water, 1 teaspoon honey, and the yeast, keep aside for about 10 minutes.
3) In a large bowl, stir 1/2 cup water, 2 tablespoons honey, orange zest, orange juice, molasses, salt, anise, caraway seeds, butter, rye flour and yeast mixture together.
4) Stir in 1/2 cup flour, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about 1 1/2 hours until doubled in bulk.
5) Stir in 1 cup all-purpose flour, turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead, adding 1/2 cup flour as needed to keep the dough from sticking.
6) Knead for about 5 minutes, then place in a buttered bowl, turn to coat the dough well with butter, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about 2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
7) Flatten the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead in the raisins. Shape into a rectangular and fold both sides into the center, then roll the dough into a log shape.
8) Cover with a heavily floured dish towel . Secure the loaf between two objects of the same length so that the bread rises up and rise for about 45 minutes until doubled in bulk.
9) When the dough is fully risen, remove the hot baking sheet from the oven, dust it with cornmeal, and gently place the loaf on the sheet. Cut 3 diagonal slashes across the top.
10) Return the sheet to the oven and spritz the inside of the oven with water. Bake for about 45 minutes, until the bread sounds hollow when tapped. Transfer on a wire rack and cool.
11) Slice the bread and serve on a serving plate.